The two yearly Pap test for women aged 18 to 69 has changed to a five yearly human papillomavirus (HPV) test for women aged 25 to 74.
You will be due for the first Cervical Screening Test two years after your last Pap test.
The changes from December 1st 2017 include:
- The Pap smear has been replaced with the more accurate Cervical Screening Test.
- The time between tests has changed from two to five years.
- The age at which screening starts has increased from 18 years to 25 years.
- Women aged 70 to 74 years will be invited to have an exit test.
- Women will be invited when they are due to participate via the National Cancer Screening Register.
Women of any age who have symptoms such as unusual bleeding, discharge and pain should see their health care professional immediately.
Women who have been vaccinated against HPV (those that have received Gardisil or Cervarix vaccines) still require cervical screening as the HPV vaccine does not protect against all the types of HPV that cause cervical cancer.
If you have any questions about these changes or when your next test is due, please make an appointment with your GP.
Pap Tests (cervical screening test) is performed at the following clinics – Tarneit, Werribee Village, Werribee Central, Prahran, Elsternwick, Camberwell, Balaclava, Mulgrave, Bacchus Marsh, Southbank
MyClinic Prahran Women’s Clinic offers information and advice on women’s health. All standard consultations with the doctors are bulk billed. Fees will apply for procedures
- Information and advice on women’s health issues
- Pap smears and registration with the Pap Test Registry for reminders
- Breast examinations and Instruction on breast self-examination
- Depression or relationship issues. You may be referred to a psychologist for further counselling.
- Pre-pregnancy information and advice
- Contraceptive information
- Iron Infusions
- Women’s Health Check which your doctor and nurse will conduct a thorough medical history of your health and your family. The check will also include a medical examination looking at Blood Pressure, a blood test to check your cholesterol, blood sugar and hormones, BMI, skin check. The doctor may develop a plan to manage weight and stress. Even discuss a programme for healthy eating and exercise. Option to join our Change Your Lifestyle programme to get you on track for a healthier you.