Languages: English & Dutch.
Dr Ferwerda grew up in the University City of Leiden in the Netherlands.
He studied medicine at the University of Amsterdam, and did a placement for tropical medicine in Kenya for half a year.
He then worked as a registrar in General Surgery and worked in the Emergency Department. He has been working as a registrar in Ear, Nose and Throat/ Head and neck surgery for two and a half year. Prior to his specialisation in General Practice he was working in preventative medicine, with a focus on adolescent health, juvenile obesity and early detection of depression and anxiety in children.
Once finished his training in General Practice he left the Netherlands to go working in Rockhampton, QLD to work in a rural area (area of need) for almost 2 years. The family of 5, with 3 boys, fell in love with Australia and after going back and forth to the Netherlands, they finally settled down in Melbourne, the most liveable city in the world! Cees did his fellowship exams and became a fellow of the RACGP.
Cees likes to spend time with family and friends, growing things in his garden, going fishing, baking sourdough breads and pizza’s.
Expertise and special interest:
- Skin cancer diagnostics, mole checks, dermoscopy
- Small surgical procedures, including steroid injections, skin procedures, ingrown toenails removal etc.
- Preventative medicine, immunisations, medication review, stop smoking support, health checks,
- Chronic illnesses management ( diabetes, asthma, cardiovascular)
- Ear nose throat problems, including issues snoring/ sleep apnoea, allergies, lodged foreign bodies etc.
- Mental health
- Implanon insertion/ removal
- Treatment of wounds/ burns
- Contraception advice